Railway Minister of India List: The Minister of Railways is the head of the Ministry of Railways of the Government of India. The Ministry of Railways is a ministry in the Government of India, responsible for the country’s rail transport. The ministry operates the statutory body Indian Railways, an organisation that operates as a monopoly in rail transport and is headed by the Chairman and CEO of the Railway Board. Railways are the principal mode of transportation for freight and passengers in India. Railways also make it possible to conduct many activities like business, sightseeing, and pilgrimage along with transportation of goods over longer distances. Railway Minister of India List
रेल मंत्री भारत सरकार के रेलवे मंत्रालय के प्रमुख हैं। रेल मंत्रालय भारत सरकार में एक मंत्रालय है, जो देश के रेल परिवहन के लिए जिम्मेदार है। मंत्रालय वैधानिक निकाय भारतीय रेलवे का संचालन करता है, एक संगठन जो रेल परिवहन में एकाधिकार के रूप में काम करता है और रेलवे बोर्ड के अध्यक्ष और सीईओ के नेतृत्व में होता है। रेलवे भारत में माल ढुलाई और यात्रियों के लिए परिवहन का प्रमुख तरीका है। रेलवे भी व्यापार, दर्शनीय स्थलों की यात्रा, और तीर्थयात्रा जैसी कई गतिविधियों का संचालन करना संभव बनाते हैं, साथ ही लंबी दूरी पर माल के परिवहन के साथ -साथ। list of railway minister of india till date
Railway Ministers of India
The Railway Minister is the head of the Ministry of Railways, Government of India i.e. all the responsibility and charge of the Indian rail transport is looked out by the Minister of Railways.
The ministry takes care of the state-owned Indian Railways headed by the Chairman of the Railway Board. The railway minister is usually awarded a cabinet rank and is responsible for the functioning of the complete Indian Railways, the largest employer in the world.
The most imperative responsibility of the Railway Minister of India is to prepare and present the railway budget every year in the parliament. The railway budget is the Annual Financial Statement of Indian Railways.
After the cabinet reshuffling, Piyush Goyal of the Bharatiya Janata Party became the successor of Suresh Prabhu the former Railway Minister and held charge of the office of Railway Minister of India from September 3, 2017. Piyush Goyal is currently serving as the Union Railway Minister of the country.
After every election, a new set of Ministers are appointed to different positions. The aspirants must have complete knowledge of the names and posts of these Ministers as it will help them flourish in the banking general awareness section.
Railway Minister of India List (1946 to Present)
|N Gopalaswami Ayyanagar|
|Lal Bahadur Shastri|
|H. C. Dasappa|
|S K Patil|
|C. M. Poonacha|
|Ram Subhag Singh|
|Panampilli Govinda Menon|
|T A Pai|
|Lalit Narayan Mishra|
|T A Pai|
|Prakash Chandra Sethi|
|A. B. A. Ghani Khan Choudhury|
|Ram Vilas Paswan|
|Lalu Prasad Yadav|
|C P Joshi|
|Pawan Kumar Bansal|
|C P Joshi|
|D. V. Sadananda Gowda|
Importance of Railway Board
- India’s Railway Board is vested with the powers to oversee and manage what is ranked among the world’s top five railroad networks and one of the largest employers, with an estimated 1.4 million people on its rolls.
- The board, including its chairman, comprises seven members, each entrusted with a specific area of operation, reporting directly to the Railways minister. The members oversee areas related to mechanical, traffic, engineering, electrical and staff, besides a finance commissioner.
- It is the highest decision-making body of the railways, which approves all the policies and projects pertaining to Indian Railways,” Indian Railway spokesperson Anil Kumar Saxena told IANS.
- The Railway Board was constituted in 1901 and its powers were formalised four years later. The officers today are members of the Indian Railway Personnel Services – a Class A civil service under the Union Public Service Commission.
- The seven-member board is powerful financially as well.
- All decisions pertaining to its large budget pegged at a whopping Rs.63,363 crore (Rs.633.63 billion or $11.5 billion) for the current fiscal, are routed through it.
- In fact, railways are the only ministry that has been having a separate annual budget since 1920, long before independence in 1947, given its crucial contribution to the economy and the role it plays in nation-building.
- The network is spread over 64,000 route km with 7,083 stations, to ferry 23 million travellers and 2.65 million tonnes of goods daily on 12,000 passengers and 7,000 freight trains.
- To ensure that the railways are able to grow, while also remaining financially healthy, an expert committee under tech evangelist Sam Pitroda, also the prime minister’s advisor on public information, infrastructure and innovations, made several recommendations.
Structure of Railway Board
- The structure of the Indian Railways has remained largely unchanged for decades and it remains a functionally oriented institution that is organised around its cadres, instead of around its businesses or customers,” the panel had observed.
- Reorganise the Railway Board along with the business discipline to reflect the chairman as chief executive officer and members for safety, business development, commercial, technology, information and communications technology, signalling, freight, passenger services, infrastructure, finance, human resource and public-private partnership.”
- According to Economist magazine, Indian Railways is the seventh-largest employer in the world.
- It ranks as the largest employer after the US defence department, the Chinese army, Walmart, China National Petroleum, State Grid of China and British health services.
- It has an annual revenue base of Rs.1,06,000 crore ($19 billion)
For New Sites:
About Present Railway Minister: Piyush Goyal
Shri Piyush Goyal (57)is the Minister of Commerce & Industry (2019-present), Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution (2020-present), Textiles (2021-present) and Leader of the Rajya Sabha (2021-present). He has also held the portfolio of Minister of Railways, Finance, Corporate Affairs, Coal, Power, New & Renewable Energy and Mines previously.
In his tenure as Minister of Commerce & Industry, India achieved its highest ever exports of about $675 billion in 2021-22. He led the signing of a Free Trade Agreement (FTA) with UAE, the fastest ever negotiated FTA globally and the India-Australia Economic Cooperation and Trade Agreement (ECTA)India’s 1st agreement with a developed country after a decade. He oversaw the launch of Production Linked Incentive (PLI)Schemes to bring manufacturing to the centre stage and emphasize its significance in driving growth and creating jobs.
During his 35-year-long political career, Mr Goyal has held several important positions at different levels in the world’s largest political party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)and is in its National Executive. He has been the National Treasurer of the Party. In the 2019 Indian General Elections, he was a member of the Manifesto and Publicity Committees. He also headed the BJP’s Information Communication Campaign Committee for the Indian General Elections 2014.
FAQs on Railway Minister of India List
What is the power of GM in the Railway?
- The General Manager will have full powers for payment of fees to surveyors engaged in the assessment of the values of damaged consignments.
- In respect of any item for which no scale has been laid down in any of the extant orders, the Railway Administration shall have no powers.
Who is the first female railway minister of India?
Surekha was born in Satara in Maharashtra on 2 September 1965 to Sonabai and Ramchandra Bhosale. Her father was late. Ramchandra Bhosale was a farmer; she is the eldest of his five children. She had initial schooling at Saint Paul Convent High School, Satara.
What is the highest post on the railway?
At the apex level of the Ministry of Railways; Member Staff is the highest level post, who is ex-officio Secretary to the Government of India.
What are the major functions of the Railway Board?
Apart from its functions as the top Railway executive body for the administration; technical supervision and direction of the Railways; the Railway Board function also a Ministry of the Government of India and exercises all the powers of the Central Government in relation to the Railways.
How many boards are there in Railway?
The 21 (Twenty-one) Railway Recruitment Boards(RRBs), functioning under the administrative control of the Railway Recruitment Control Board(RRCB); Rail Bhawan, New Delhi is one of the largest recruiting agencies of the Government of India which do direct recruitments for all the; departments of Indian Railways.
21 (इक्कीस) रेलवे भर्ती बोर्ड (आरआरबी); रेलवे रिक्रूटमेंट कंट्रोल बोर्ड (आरआरसीबी), रेल भवन के प्रशासनिक नियंत्रण के तहत कार्य करना, नई दिल्ली भारत सरकार की सबसे बड़ी भर्ती एजेंसियों में से एक है जो; प्रत्यक्ष भर्ती करते हैं भारतीय रेलवे के सभी विभागों के लिए। railway ministers list of india