Monuments of India List: Ancient Monument means any structure, erection or monument, any tumulus or place of interment, or any cave, rock sculpture, inscription or monolith which is of historical, archaeological or artistic interest and which has been in existence for not less than 100 years. A monument is a type of structure that was explicitly created to commemorate a person or event, or which has become relevant to a social group as a part of their remembrance of historic times or cultural heritage, due to its artistic, historical, political, technical or architectural importance. monuments of india list with states
Monuments of India List: प्राचीन स्मारक का अर्थ है कोई भी संरचना, निर्माण या स्मारक, कोई गुम्बद या समाधि का स्थान, या कोई गुफा, शिला मूर्तिकला, शिलालेख या मोनोलिथ जो ऐतिहासिक, पुरातात्विक या कलात्मक रुचि का हो और जो कम से कम 100 वर्षों से अस्तित्व में हो। एक स्मारक एक प्रकार की संरचना है जो स्पष्ट रूप से किसी व्यक्ति या घटना को मनाने के लिए बनाई गई थी, या जो ऐतिहासिक समय या सांस्कृतिक विरासत के अपने कलात्मक, ऐतिहासिक, राजनीतिक, तकनीकी के कारण एक सामाजिक समूह के लिए प्रासंगिक हो गई है। या वास्तु महत्व। monuments of india list pdf
Top 48 Monuments in India that Reflect Rich Culture and Heritage
Since India is a vast country, it makes it difficult to decide what to see in India. The country is so rich and diverse and has some excellent specimens of history in the form of monuments. However, India not only has great man-made monuments but also some natural heritage sites dating back to the time of early cavemen. We know how hard it is to search for all those places that you must visit in India in order to understand its history better, which is why we thought of compiling a list on your behalf.
List of the top monuments in India
|Taj Mahal Agra||Gateway of India Mumbai||India Gate New Delhi|
|Golden Temple Amritsar||Hawa Mahal Jaipur||Charminar Hyderabad|
|Meenakshi Temple||Agra Fort||City Palace Udaipur|
|Victoria Memorial Kolkata||Khajuraho Temples||Ajanta & Ellora Caves|
|Amer Fort Jaipur||Lotus Temple||Basilica of Bom Jesu|
|Qutub Minar||Bara Imambara Lucknow||Brihadisvara Temple|
|Dilwara Temples||Sanchi Stupa||Elephanta Caves|
|Fatehpur Sikri||Gingee Fort Villupuram||Golconda Fort Hyderabad|
|Mahabalipuram||Hill Palace Museum||Jaisalmer Fort|
|Jama Masjid Delhi||Jantar Mantar Jaipur||Kamakhya Temple|
|Kashi Vishwanath||Key Monastery Spiti Valley||Humayun’s Tomb|
|Mahabodhi Temple||Mehrangarh Fort Jodhpur||Mysore Palace|
|Nalanda||Purana Qila||Rashtrapati Bhawan|
|Red Fort||Bhimbetka||Se Cathedral Goa|
|Sikandra Agra||Shivaji Terminus||Sun Temple Konark|
Facts About 8 Popular Monuments in India
Taj Mahal, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
The Taj Mahal is an Islamic ivory-white marble mausoleum on the right bank of the river Yamuna in the Indian city of Agra. It was commissioned in 1632 by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan to house the tomb of his favourite wife, Mumtaz Mahal; it also houses the tomb of Shah Jahan himself.
Gateway of India, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Built to commemorate the royal visit of King George V, the Gateway of India has stayed an inseparable historic symbol for the city of Mumbai and the country. This bold basalt arch that symbolizes colonial triumph is now among the popular tourist places to visit in Mumbai.
- Completed in 1924 and done in Islamic styles of 16th-century Gujarat architecture, this piece of art was also the witness to India’s march towards independence and the mishap of 26/11.
- Highlight: The last horde of British troops left India through this Gateway
India Gate, New Delhi
- India Gate is without a doubt one of the most recognizable structures in the country. Often referred to as the replica of Arc de Triomphe in Paris, this majestic monument is dedicated to those 70,000 soldiers who lost their lives during World War I.
- Completed in 1931; India Gate stands 42m tall in height with names of the Indian martyrs carved on it. The Amar Jawan Jyoti is a much later addition to the structure, which was created after 1971’s Indo-Pak war. Today, India Gate is amongst the most famous monuments in Delhi and India.
- Highlight: Parades on Independence Day and Republic Day
Golden Temple, Amritsar, Punjab
- The rich history and gold gilded exterior are the highlights of the Golden Temple in Amritsar. Sikhs from all over the world come to pay obeisance at Golden Temple and thus this place has gained great importance in India’s tourism. Built by Arjan Sahib with help of Baba Budha Ji, this Sikh shrine is done in Indo-Islamic architecture style.
- The temple is actually a small part of a religious complex, which also has a famous pond that is said to have healing power. The lower level of the temple is adorned with motifs of flowers and animals like that of the Taj Mahal and the upper level is gilded with sheets of gold, giving it a look that earned it the name Golden temple.
- Highlight: Surrounding pond that is believed to have healing powers
Hawa Mahal, Jaipur, Rajasthan
- This Palace of Winds is a prominent landmark of Pink City, Jaipur. A five-storey pyramidal building, Hawa Mahal stands 15m tall and overlooks the busy streets of the city. The monument was built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh to offer convenience to women to see the outside world without having to be seen by others (Purdah System was prevalent at that time). From the top of the palace are the stunning views of Jantar Mantar, City Palace and Sireh Deori Bazaar.
- Highlight: The ventilation system is one of its kind
Charminar, Hyderabad, Telangana
- This 16th-century monument in Hyderabad has been the clear winner of being one of the most famous landmarks in India. Standing tall in Old Hyderabad, Charminar looks absolutely stunning when lit in the evening.
- There are winding 149 steps that lead to the top of the building from where the view is spectacular. Charminar is indeed a gift to the City of Nizams by Sultan Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah.
- Highlight: View from the top. list of historical monuments in india
Agra Fort, Uttar Pradesh
- As one approaches towards Taj Mahal, en route, the red sandstone fortifying wall shall draw your attention. Agra Fort built by Emperor Akbar is the second most popular monument in Agra. It was during the time of Shah Jahan that this fort was converted to a palace and later in the reign of Aurangzeb the fort turned into a gilded prison.
- The fort is like the city inside a city and has some fine architectural specimens to observe. This fort is said to be the symbol of power, strength and resilience. Standing in its full glory, Agra Fort boasts of a rich historic period and uncountable events that are important in Indian history.
- Highlight: Diwan-i-Khas, Jahangiri Palace, Akbari Mahal
City Palace, Udaipur, Rajasthan
- One of the most prominent buildings of Udaipur, City Palace is the reflection of excellent Rajput architecture. Completed over a period of 400 years, this palace sits on the bank of Lake Pichola overlooking the vista of the city.
- The palace is a complex that 11 other palaces built inside it. It is the perfect place to appreciate Rajput’s taste in architecture. From intricate designs to the choice of mirror and marble work, each has a distinct taste which definitely sets this place class apart.
- Highlight: Amar Vilas and its hanging Garden
FAQs on Monuments of India List
Why are monuments so important?
Memorials and monuments are designed to convey forceful messages about the events or individuals they commemorate. Each has embedded in it a particular perspective, an interpretation, a set of values or judgments.
What is the meaning of historical monuments?
Historic monuments are fixed assets that are identifiable because of particular historic, national, regional, local, religious or symbolic significance; they are usually accessible to the general public, and visitors are often charged for admission to the monuments or their vicinity.
What is the famous monument of India?
The Taj Mahal is a famous monument in India, although entry to the tombs restricted, you can walk around the landscaped garden of this national monument of India and marvel at the beauty of the motifs on the mosque’s walls.
What do we learn from monuments?
A historical monument is a rich source of history. It gives us a sense of wonder and makes us curious to know more about the past connected with it. The study of a monument helps the students construct history through observation. The activity generates interest in historical buildings and develops observation skills.
How do monuments help historians?
They are indeed reliable sources of information about the history of any period. They help to explain the chronology of events and important developments as they substantiate by material evidence like coins, monuments, art and architecture. list monuments of india with names and pictures
वे वास्तव में किसी भी काल के इतिहास के बारे में जानकारी के विश्वसनीय स्रोत हैं। वे घटनाओं के कालक्रम और महत्वपूर्ण विकास की व्याख्या करने में मदद करते हैं क्योंकि वे सिक्कों, स्मारकों, कला और वास्तुकला जैसे भौतिक साक्ष्यों से प्रमाणित होते हैं।