List of Home Ministers of India: At present, the Union Cabinet Minister for Home Affairs is Amit Shah. The first Home Minister of India was Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and some others in this position were Lal Bahadur Shastri, Indira Gandhi, Charan Singh, P.V. Narasimha Rao, LK Advani, Rajnath Singh, etc. (list of home minister of India from 1947 to 2020)
The Ministry of Home Affairs is headed by the Minister of Home Affairs, Government of India. The main responsibility of the Home Minister is to maintain the internal security and domestic policy of India. He is assisted by two Ministers of State. Also, civil servants have been assigned to them. The minister is also supported by a number of civilian, scientific and professional advisers. The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has various departments such as the Department of Border Management, dealing with the management of borders including coastal borders, and the Department of Internal Security dealing with police, law and order, and Rehabilitation.
वर्तमान में केंद्रीय गृह मंत्री अमित शाह हैं। भारत के पहले गृह मंत्री सरदार वल्लभभाई पटेल थे और इस पद पर कुछ अन्य लाल बहादुर शास्त्री, इंदिरा गांधी, चरण सिंह, पी.वी. नरसिम्हा राव, लालकृष्ण आडवाणी, राजनाथ सिंह, आदि। गृह मंत्रालय का नेतृत्व भारत सरकार के गृह मंत्री करते हैं। गृह मंत्री की मुख्य जिम्मेदारी भारत की आंतरिक सुरक्षा और घरेलू नीति को बनाए रखना है। उनकी सहायता के लिए दो राज्य मंत्री हैं। साथ ही उन्हें सिविल सेवकों को सौंपा गया है। मंत्री को कई नागरिक, वैज्ञानिक और पेशेवर सलाहकारों का भी समर्थन प्राप्त है। गृह मंत्रालय (एमएचए) में विभिन्न विभाग हैं जैसे सीमा प्रबंधन विभाग, तटीय सीमाओं सहित सीमाओं के प्रबंधन से संबंधित, और पुलिस, कानून और व्यवस्था और पुनर्वास से संबंधित आंतरिक सुरक्षा विभाग।
List of Home Ministers of India
|Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel||2 September 1946 – 15 December 1950|
|C. Rajagopalachari||26 December 1950 – 25 October 1951|
|Kailash Nath Katju||1951 – 1955|
|G.B. Pant||1955 – 1961|
|Lal Bahadur Shastri||4 April 1961 – 29 August 1963|
|Gulzarilal Nanda||29 August 1963 – 14 November 1966|
|Yashwantrao Chavan||14 November 1966 – 27 June 1970|
|Indira Gandhi||27 June 1970 – 04 February 1973|
|Uma Shankar Dikshit||4 February 1973 – 1974|
|Kasu Brahmananda Reddy||1974 – 24 March 1977|
|Charan Singh||24 March 1977 – 01 July 1978|
|Morarji Desai||1 July 1978 – 28 July 1979|
|Yashwantrao Chavan||01 July 1978 – 28 July 1979|
|Giani Zail Singh||14 January 1980 – 22 June 1982|
|Ramaswamy Venkataraman||22 June 1982 – 02 September 1982|
|Prakash Chandra Sethi||2 September 1982 – 19 July 1984|
|P.V. Narsimha Rao||19 July 1984 – 31 December 1984|
|Shankarrao Chavan||31 December 1984 – 12 March 1986|
|P.V. Narsimha Rao||12 March 1986 – 12 May 1986|
|Sardar Buta Singh||12 May 1986 – 02 December 1989|
|Mufti Mohammad Sayeed||1989 – 10 November 1990|
|Chandra Sekhar||10 November 1990 – 21 June 1991|
|Shankarrao Chavan||21 June 1991 – 16 May 1996|
|Murli Manohar Joshi||16 May 1996 – 1 June 1996|
|Indrajit Gupta||29 June 1996 – 19 March 1998|
|Lal Krishna Advani||19 March 1998 – 22 May 2004|
|Shivraj Patil||22 May 2004 – 30 November 2008|
|P. Chidambaram||30 November 2008 – 31 July 2012|
|Sushilkumar Shinde||31 July 2012 – 26 May 2014|
|Rajnath Singh||27 May 2014 – 29 May 2019|
|Amit Shah||30 May 2019 – Incumbent|
Powers and Duties of the Officers of the Ministry of Home Affairs and Employees:
- There is a separate secretary in the Department of Official Language.
- There is a Secretary in the Department of Border Management.
- Department of Internal Security, Department of States, Department
- Home Department, Department of Jammu and Kashmir Affairs and Department
Border management, however, does not work in water tightness
Cans. They are all interconnected and work as a whole
In charge of Home Secretary, assisted by officers at the level of
Work of Special Secretary, Additional Secretary, Joint Secretary etc.
These departments are distributed among various divisions, each headed by
a joint secretary. The names of these divisions indicate their principal areas.
- राजभाषा विभाग में एक अलग सचिव होता है।
- सीमा प्रबंधन विभाग में एक सचिव होता है।
- आंतरिक सुरक्षा विभाग, राज्यों का विभाग, विभाग
- गृह विभाग, जम्मू और कश्मीर मामलों का विभाग और विभाग
- सीमा प्रबंधन, हालांकि, पानी की तंगी में काम नहीं करता
- डिब्बे। वे सभी परस्पर जुड़े हुए हैं और समग्र रूप से कार्य करते हैं
- गृह सचिव के प्रभारी, के स्तर पर अधिकारियों द्वारा सहायता प्रदान की
- विशेष सचिव, अपर सचिव, संयुक्त सचिव आदि के कार्य।
- इन विभागों को विभिन्न प्रभागों के बीच वितरित किया जाता है, जिनमें से प्रत्येक की अध्यक्षता
- एक संयुक्त सचिव। इन डिवीजनों के नाम उनके प्रमुख क्षेत्रों को दर्शाते हैं।
Responsibilities are given below:-
- This division is responsible for handling all administrative matters.
- Also deals with matters relating to the Ministry of Home Affairs and
- Ranking Table, Padma Awards, National Flag, National Anthem,
- State Emblem of India and Secretariat Security Organization.
Border Management Division
Recently established this division deals with all matters relating to the Management of borders and coastal security etc.
- This division deals with Central-State relations including working
- Constitutional provisions governing such relations
- Governor, Formation of new states, Nomination to Rajya Sabha/Lok Sabha,
- Inter-state border disputes, given the status of crime in the states, etc.
- This division mainly deals with inter-ministerial related matters
- Coordination, Parliamentary Affairs and Public Grievances.
Disaster Management Division (I +II)
- Whose coordination are these newly created circles responsible for?
- Relief measures in the event of natural calamities and man-made calamities (Except draft and pandemic).
- This Division deals with all matters relating to Foreigners Act and
- Passport (Entry into India) Act, Foreigners Registration Act,
- Citizenship Act and Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act. This also
Controls the Bureau of Immigration.
- Freedom Fighters and Rehabilitation Division
- This division frames and implements Freedom Fighter Pension.
- Scheme and scheme for resettlement of migrants from East-West
- Provision of relief to Pakistan/East Pakistan and Sri Lankans and Tibetans
Human Rights Division
- This division deals with matters relating to the safety of human beings.
- Rights Act and Matters relating to National Integration, Communal
- Harmony and Ayodhya matter.
Integrated Finance Division
- This division is responsible for preparing, operating and
- Controlling the budget of the ministry under Integrated Finance
Internal Security Division
- This division deals with matters relating to internal security,
- Including anti-national and subversive activities of various groups/extremists
- Organization, Weapons and Explosives, Narcotics, National Security Act, etc.
Jammu and Kashmir Division
- This division deals with constitutional matters including Article
- With respect to Article 370 of the Constitution of India and general policy matters
- J&K and terrorism/terrorism in that State; are also responsible for
- Implementation of PM’s package for J&K.
- This division deals with all matters relating to legislative aspects
- IPC/CrPC and Commission of Inquiry Act; it also handles
- Matters relating to state legislation to the extent of these legislations
- The President’s assent is required under the Constitution.
North East Division
- This division deals with the law and order situation in the North-East
- State, including matters relating to insurgency and interacting with various
- Extremist groups operating in that area.
- This division acts as the Cadre Controlling Authority for IPS
- Also looks after all matters relating to Central Police Forces including officers and their postings.
Police Modernization Division
- It handles all items of work related to the modernization of the division
- Provision/Procurement of various items for State Police Force
- Modernization of Central Police Forces, Police Reforms, Police Training and VIP/Critical Establishment Security.
Policy Planning Division
- This division deals with policymaking matters relating to:
- In relation to terrorism, international contracts, bilateral aid treaties and work-related items.
Naxal Management Division
- This division monitors the Naxalite situation and countermeasures.
- Location-specific action is being taken by the affected states with the aim of improving policing and development response at the grassroots level
- Plans to be prepared/ prepared by the affected States, and reviewed with the concerned Ministries/Departments to ensure optimum utilization.
- Funds released and proper implementation under various developmental schemes in all Naxal affected areas.
Union Territory Division
- This division deals with all legislative and constitutional matters
- relating to Union Territories including Delhi; It also acts as a cadre
- Controlling Authority for AGMU Cadre of IPS/IAS as well as DANICS/DANIPS. It is also responsible for overseeing the crime situation in the Union Territories.
FAQs on List of Home Ministers of India
Who is the present Home Minister of India?
The Ministry of Home Affairs is an important ministry in the Government of India, and Amit Shah is the current Home Minister. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India’s first Home Minister since the period of independence, has recognized the role as second in seniority in the Union Cabinet.
Name the three Home Ministers who later became the Prime Minister.
- Lal Bahadur Shastri, Charan Singh, and P V Narasimha Rao were the three home ministers who became prime ministers.
- लाल बहादुर शास्त्री, चरण सिंह, और पी वी नरसिम्हा राव तीन गृह मंत्री थे जो प्रधान मंत्री बने।
What are the duties of Home Ministers?
One of the most senior officials in the Union Cabinet, the main responsibility of the Home Minister is the maintenance of India’s internal security; The country’s largest police force comes under its jurisdiction.
What is the role of the Home Ministry in India?
The Ministry of Home Affairs (IAST: Ministry of Home Affairs), or simply the Ministry of Home Affairs, is a ministry of the Government of India. As the Ministry of the Interior of India, it is primarily responsible for the maintenance of internal security and domestic policy. The Home Ministry is headed by Union Home Minister Amit Shah. (list of home ministers of India 2019)